I am sad to say that our little feather friends have lost their nest and their 4 eggs. Last year I noticed a finch building a nest on our patio on top of one of the beams. 4 little babies hatched last July and we watched as 3 of them flew away. I didn't have the heart to take down the nest, and I was glad I didn't because a few weeks ago I noticed that the birds came back. They actually built a new nest on top of the old one. The momma bird has been sitting up there for a while, so I knew that she had layed her eggs. Yesterday, I opened the blinds, as I do every morning to see if she's sitting up there, and to my surprise the nest was GONE. I rushed outside and I found the nest on the ground along with 4 little broken eggs. The eggs were only as big as the Easter candy eggs. One of the that I saw was completely broken and the tiny fetus of the baby bird was a couple of inches away from it. Ohhhh...it was so sad. It reminded me of the pictures that the abortion protesters hold up. We were all sad, because we were looking forward to watching these new babies grow and fly away. Oh well. Maybe next time!
Here is a picture of last years babies.

1 comment:
I bet some kitty tried to get the nest. Too bad for the mommy bird. How sad.
Post a Comment